Is My Internet Working? Most Common Internet Problems and Solutions
Speed lags and slow internet are perhaps the most common problems, which every internet user experiences. In this fast age, slow internet could be such a pain. Internet users of this current technologically advanced world have zero patience for speed lags. If you ask them what the most unbearable thing is for them, most of them will answer “a lagging internet speed!”
Slow internet is also a problem because we rely on the internet for endless reasons. You can pull off a promising internet plan from a high-end and high-performance provider like HughesNet Internet service. But guess what, you will still have to deal with outages, sudden lags, and interruptions.
The Most Common Internet Problems
Some of the most common problems, which you may encounter, are:
- Slow internet.
- Wi-Fi stops working.
- Wi-Fi not connecting.
- Reset router.
- Changing the Wi-Fi password.
You need to learn a few quick DIY tips and tricks to make your internet running again. Because no provider and no package can ensure seamless and smooth internet connection and speeds at all hours of the day.
Even if you get your hands on HughesNet Gen5, you still will have to deal with these recurrent internet problems. So, let’s walk you through these DIY solutions and save you from these broadband headaches.
Problem #1: Slow Internet
When your page takes ages to load, you are experiencing a slow internet connection. With the speeds, which are offered by contemporary ISPs, the page loading speeds have to be very fast. We are living in times when downloading full-length movies take minutes. So, what can cause such a slow page-loading internet speed?
One of the reasons could be your ISP throttling you until you feel like you are back to the days where dial-up internet was the only option. Or, you may have too many connected devices and that’s consuming the speed. Or, your hardware is outdated.
1: Reboot the Router and Modem
Try rebooting your router and modem. Turn it off for a few seconds and then simply turn it back on. It is perhaps the most clichéd solution to fix speeds. But it always helps. When it is back up and running, you will notice an improvement in speeds.
ISPs recommend restarting your devices and equipment at least once after every few months.
2: Reposition the Router
Location of your Wi-Fi router is very important in order to get a good signal strength. If you are too far from the router or in certain rooms, the router is not receiving the signals, consider a change of place. Tons of electronic gadgets in the house can cause interruptions in signals. So, choose a high shelf to get the strongest signals. Laws of Physics back this solution.
3: Replace Outdated Equipment
Consider equipment upgrade if the lags in speeds are becoming frequent. If you have subscribed to a higher speed tier, such as one of the Frontier Internet packages, then your old modem is perhaps not compatible and capable to handle the faster speeds.
Problem#2: Wi-Fi Stops Working
The aforementioned solutions for slow internet are also applicable to this category of internet problems. But if you still face issues like network dropouts, unable to connect to the internet, and network unavailability, try the following solutions.
- Consider updating your equipment.
- Check if it needs hardware as well as firmware upgrades.
- Switch to a newer modem.
- Consider disconnecting devices and apps which are eating up all your bandwidth.
- You can check which apps on your phone and gadgets are running in the background, consuming all the bandwidth.
- If there are too many connected devices, disconnect the ones which are not in use.
Problem #3: Wi-Fi Not Connecting
When you experience the inability to connect to the network while your hardware in on, remember it’s not an external error by the server. If pages are not loading, even if you have tried on different devices, then perhaps WOW Internet deals are not the culprit here. The channels and frequencies are to blame. Try the following solutions.
- Try a different channel or frequency. They can be overcrowded.
- Wi-Fi routers typically offer 2 frequencies, 2.4 and 5 GHz, to broadcast your signal.
- The channels under each frequency are multiple.
- Changing the frequency will allow less interference and more bandwidth.
- Changing the channel will also improve internet connection.
- For 2.5 GHz frequency, try the channels 1, 6, 11. They offer lesser overlapping.
- For 5 GHz, there are 23 channels, which offer no overlapping.
- Consider changing your DNS server.
Problem #4: Reset Router
To keep the connection and signal strength strong throughout your home, consider the following resets.
1: Soft Reset
This is going to be your frequent course of action to fix this problem. As mentioned earlier, just turn off the power button of your modem and let it be for 20-30 seconds. And then turn the power on. you will see improvement in the signals without having to change any settings.
2: Hard Reset
Hard reset will restore the factory settings, removing all your passwords and settings. Locate the reset button on your router and hold it for 30 seconds to power it off. Methods may vary according to the router you are using.
Problem#5: Changing Wi-Fi Password
You may consider it an insignificant one but it is actually quite critical to keep your network secure and safe. You may think it doesn’t make a difference what password you have. But you should know that people are great at cracking passwords and draining your bandwidth.
- Consider resetting your password via a device app or the provider’s website.
- Take advantage of the app integration offered by new modems and routers.
- You can control everything through your phone/gadget.
- Simply open the app and then navigate to the settings for the password.
- If your provider has given you the equipment as you get it with Optimum Internet plans, you can also reset passwords via their official website.
- You can also reset the password through the configuration page of your router.
These DIY solutions will make your internet perform better and you will experience smooth speeds. And they are equally effective whether you have one of the Cox Internet deals or any ISP’s for that matter. You can thank us later!
Disclaimer: To our knowledge, we have made all the required efforts towards obtaining owner/publisher approval for the use of images in VISIONECLICK.COM blog posts. However, if you find violations of any sorts regarding any image, please feel free to contact us. Prices and packages mentioned may vary with time and the specific locations.